When can you receive child support for a child over 18?

Pursuant to MCL 552.605b, a court that orders child support may order support for a child, after the child reaches 18 years of age.

In order for the court to award support for a child over 18, the child must be regularly attending high school on a full-time basis, with a reasonable expectation of completing sufficient credits to graduate from high school while residing on a full-time basis with the recipient of support or at an institution, but in no case after the child reaches 19 years and 6 months of age.

If you believe you are entitled to support, for a child over the age of 18, please call the attorneys of Serafini, Michalowski, Derkacz & Associates, P.C. at (586) 264-3756.